Due to COVID-19, it is suggested that readers call and make sure the event is taking place as listed.
Saturday Jan. 23
• Brevard Symphony Season Opener: The Brevard Symphony announced its "reimagined" 2021 season in November and the season will begin on Saturday, Jan. 23 with a program titled “Beethoven Celebration.”
Two performances of this program will be presented at the King Center in Melbourne at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
This concert is part of the BSO’s Signature Six Series. It is the first of several planned in celebration of the 250th anniversary of Beethoven’s birth.
The Signature Six Series includes five classical programs and one pops program, Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m.
Three of the six programs are also offered on Saturday afternoons at 2 p.m. packaged as the Matinee Series. Music Director Christopher Confessore will lead the orchestra in all performances.
Both concerts on January 23 will feature Ecuadorian cellist Francisco Vila performing Haydn’s Cello Concerto No. 1 in C Major. The program will open with Beethoven’s Egmont Overture, written to accompany Goethe’s play of the same name, and conclude with Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 in A Major, rumored to have been the composer’s favorite symphony. “There is no better way, in my opinion, to return to live performances than to present a concert honoring Beethoven," said BSO Executive Director David Schillhammer: " I am so grateful to the community for their support over the last nine months. We can’t wait to resume our schedule of live concerts and it wouldn’t be possible without our amazing patrons.”
In keeping with current CDC guidelines and King Center policy, audience seating will be socially distanced and everyone in attendance will be required to wear face coverings while in the building. The musicians of the BSO will also be seated in a socially distanced configuration. String players and percussionists will be masked at all times. Members of the woodwind and brass sections will wear masks when they are not playing.
Because of lessened capacity due to social distancing, it is possible that some seating areas may be taken by subscribers and not available for individual purchase. If available, tickets will start at $19 for the afternoon performance and $29 for the evening performance.
In addition to the live performances, the BSO is offering a delayed stream of the concert, starting on January 30, for patrons who wish to enjoy the concert from home. Tickets to both live performances on January 23 may be purchased directly from the King Center by calling (321) 242-2219. Tickets for the delayed stream are also now available for the first concert for a contribution of $10 or more. Stream tickets are only available at Brevardsymphony.com/Jan2021 or by calling 321.345.5052.
The Brevard Symphony Orchestra is the only fully-professional orchestra in Brevard County. Many of central Florida’s finest classical musicians play with the BSO. For more information regarding the Brevard Symphony Orchestra, please visit BrevardSymphony.com or call 321.345.5052.
• Free Plane Rides for Kids: Children ages 8 to 17 can take to the air on Saturday Jan. 23 during the 'Young Eagles Flight Rally' on Merritt Island.
It takes place at a new location, the Servant Air Ministries hangar at 471 Manor Dr. at the Merritt Island Airport.
The event is sponsored by the Chapter 724 of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA).
“The Airplane rides are FREE”, said Don White, Chapter Coordinator for the event. “We hope to build a one on one relationship between the pilots and the young people, thus, giving the new generation a chance to learn more about the possibilities that exist in the world of aviation, while enjoying the thrill of flying."
The flights are twenty minutes on average depending on the type of airplane.
Following the flight, each Young Eagle will receive a Certificate making him or her, an Official Young Eagle Flight Member, and a personal Flight Log Book from Sporty’s Pilot Shop. Their names will also be entered into the “Worlds Largest Log Book”. This book is on permanent display at the EAA Air Adventure Museum in Oshkosh, WI.
All pilots and planes are certified by the FAA and they are insured.
Pre-registration is required. A parent must register their kid(s) at: http://YEDAY.org and fill out the registration form and then click on the SUBMIT button for this event.
A parent or guardian must accompany the child and sign the registration form. When you arrive at the airport the registration form will be printed out for the parent to sign.
Anyone without access to a computer will be able to register online when they arrive at the airport or they can use a computer at a public library.
For everyone’s safety, Social distancing will be observed on the ground. Masks will also be required for parents and kids on the ground and students will be required to wear a mask in the plane.
NOTE: If circumstances cause the event to be postponed or canceled, that info will be shown on the http://YEDAY.org web site AND anyone who has registered will get an email with the updated information.
For more information call Don at (321) 266-7410 and leave a message.
• Gibson Neighborhood Marketplace: Visit and shop with North Brevard's black and minority-owned businesses, once a month at the Gibson Center. Call 321-522-7793 to register your business or sponsor the event. Vendors may purchase a $25 outdoor table (https://py.pl/pdBp1) or $35 indoor table (https://py.pl/1BYbwlA1fax). The Gibson Center Library is located at 835 Sycamore Street, Suite H in Titusville.
Thursday Jan. 28
•JQB Music Jam @ Squid Lips: John Quinlivan, who has been entertaining audiences along the Space Coast for more than 30 years, has resumed his weekly jam sessions at Squid Lips. He performs every Thursday night from 6-9 p.m. with the incredible Master Blasters. This great group of guys and gals have been jamming for years. Come witness the spectacle of 25 musicians on stage doing what they love to do! It’s a required Melbourne experience! Learn more at https://tinyurl.com/y7pzuubv. Squid Lips is located at 1477 Pineapple Ave. in Melbourne.
Saturday Jan. 30
• Sea Pictures: The Space Coast Symphony Orchestra celebrates the sea in its ever-changing glory during Sea Pictures at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 30 at the Satellite High School Performing Arts Center.
Composers Smetana, Elgar, Mendelssohn and Sibelius are highlighted in a program that celebrates the beauty, power, and mystery of the sea.
Sea Pictures opens with Hebrides Overture, a work conceived by Mendelssohn’s Scottish trip and his visit to Fingal’s Cave, which inspired his musical representation of the eerie sounds produced by the echoes of waves. Mezzo soprano, Eliza Dopira joins the orchestra to sing Elgar’s evocative song cycle for which the concert is named, Sea Pictures, based on poems evoking fear and fascination with the sea. Central Florida standout, Kristin Naigus will be featured on English horn on Jean Sibelius' haunting work, The Swan of Tuonela. Beautiful and mystical, this is an example of Sibelius’ picturesque writing, pulling the listener into a soundscape of slowly shifting musical colors. The concert is rounded out with Sibelius' epic tone poem, Finlandia.
$30 advance tickets for adults are available through the orchestra website at SpaceCoastSymphony.org or at Marine Bank & Trust in Suntree. Tickets at the door are $35. Online ticketing is encouraged, for optimum social distancing and capacity planning. The symphony's Covid-19 safety measures will be in place for the indoor concert, including temperature checks, limited and spaced seating and mandatory mask-wearing for the duration of the event. The audience is asked not to arrive more than 30 minutes prior to show time.
Sea Pictures is free for those aged 18 and under or with a student ID. For more information, call toll free to 855-252-7276 or visit SpaceCoastSymphony.org.
The Satellite High School for Performing Arts Center is located at 300 Scorpion Court in Satellite Beach.
Click on this link to buy tickets > https://spacecoastsymphony.org/event/sea-pictures/
As the Space Coast Symphony Orchestra returns to the concert hall, we are doing everything we can to keep our audiences, performers and volunteer staff safe. As you prepare to attend a concert, please know that we’ve updated our procedures and policies to keep you safe until we return to normalcy.
For more information about the Space Coast Symphony's 2020-21 Season and to view Covid-19 protocols for each performance, please visit SpaceCoastSymphony.org or call toll-free (855) 252-7276.
• A New Year Public Auction!: Cliff Shuler Auctioneers is holding a public auction from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday Jan. 30 at 422 Julia St. in Titusville. Auctioning just about everything, usually including the kitchen sink! Up for sale are real estate, firearms, city surplus, a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan, golf carts, tools, a Mi-T-M 1500 PSI steam pressure washer, furniture, cars, an ECHO Bearcat woodchipper, trucks, boats, antiques, and much more! The gates open at 8 a.m. for registration & inspection. No charge to attend. No charge to register. No buyer’s premium! We do not believe in a BP! Serving Florida for over 42 years. To learn more go to soldfor.com and click Upcoming Auctions to view our catalog!
Friday Feb 5
• Kaleidoscope 2021: The Eau Gallery has issued a call for art and prospectus for Kaleidoscope 2021. The show will "explore the many facets of art." No more than 50 works will be accepted into the exhibit. A panel of three artists will jury the exhibit and a separate judge will select the award winners. Over $1,500 in awards will be issued.
The exhibit is open to all artists over 18 years of age who are full-time or seasonal Florida residents. All 2D and 3D mediums are eligible. Your art must be appropriate for viewing by all ages.
Click on this link to see the rules for submitting your artwork - https://tinyurl.com/y4my9ce6.
When you have printed out and completed your application form bring it to Eau Gallery or mail it to - Eau Gallery, 1429 Highland Ave. Melbourne, FL. 32935.
The Eau Gallery is open Monday-Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Don't forget to include your check made out to Eau Gallery, Inc.
Kaleidoscope 2021 opens on Friday Feb. 5 and runs through Sunday March 7. Important update for all artists entering - your photo images must be sent to > firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday Feb. 13
• A Romantic Night: The Brevard Music Group presents "A Romantic Night In' with
Dave Koz and Brian McKnight with Special Guest Shelea.
This is a one night only LIVESTREAM concert that takes place online on Saturday Feb. 13 starting at 8 p.m.
When you purchase a $35 ticket to this virtual concert, you'll receive a link to the virtual concert for one device.
Included in the ticket price will be an exclusive digital copy of the “A Romantic Night In” EP, a collection of Koz’s most romantic songs.
BMG Rights Management receives a small portion of the $35 ticket price.
All proceeds from this virtual concert will be donated to the Regalitos Foundation Emerging Artists Series.
Click on this link to purchase your virtual concert ticket > https://app.loopedlive.com/presented-by-brevard-music/talent/165747/events/?eventId=3145
For more information about this event you can call - (321) 783-9004.
The Brevard Music Group is proud to be chosen as one of the Florida presenters for this unique and fun VIRTUAL concert by Dave Koz and his friends!
• Brewer's Bash: If you came last year, you know it’s a can’t miss! If you didn’t, trust us, you want to be here! Cocoa Village's 2nd Annual Brewer’s Bash will be held Saturday, Feb. 13 from 1-5 p.m. at Riverfront Park. Even more Micro Breweries will be here with samples of their best brews! HOT PINK will be on stage! Food trucks! Pet friendly! Hosted by Dirty Oar Beer Company & Village Idiot Pub.
Saturday Feb. 20 & Sunday Feb. 21
• Classic Car Show @ the Strawberry Fest: Bring your classic cars and your entire family to the Strawberry Fest at Wickham Park on Saturday Feb. 20 & Sunday Feb. 21. Rain or shine! Enjoy Plant City strawberries, a free bounce house, delicious food, pony rides, and arts & crafts. There will be a berry cute baby contest, train rides, face paintings and a hula hoop contest for the kids along with plenty of strawberry shortcake, strawberry fudge, and strawberry lemonade.
All proceeds go to charity.
Wickham Park is located at 2500 Parkway Dr. in Melbourne. learn more at www.melbournefest.com.
The classic car and truck contest will award $50 in strawberry bucks and a certificate for 1st place and $25 in strawberry bucks and a certificate for 2nd place.
Vehicles must arrive between 10 and 11 a.m.. There is a $10 registration fee per day which includes admission to the Strawberry Fest. Sponsored by Buckler Shows. Call (366) 860-0092 or email email@example.com
Through Sunday Jan. 31
• Mini Solo Exhibitions: The Studios of Cocoa Beach has opened the first in a series of mini solo exhibitions. The exhibitions features three local artists, highlighting one aspect of their work. The show opened Tuesday Jan. 12 and runs through Sunday Jan. 31.
Delia Swenson is an accomplished painter who began painting in oils in 2009. While she paints many varied themes, this exhibit highlights her talent for translating nature to the canvas. Each piece evokes a unique mood. Her red poppies are full of energy, seeming to jump off the canvas. In contrast, the texture and subtlety of her white flowers evoke calm and serenity.
Debora Tweedie is a marine biologist who taught for 36 years. She excels in photography and mixed media. All her art flows from her love of nature. She uses her camera to capture the ordinary and transform it into the beautiful, mysterious, playful and sometimes even unrecognizable images before you.
Tiffany Allen is also a photographer and the exhibit features her “All Washed Up” series. The photographs depict discarded items that she finds on local beaches , or in the case of a piano, the East River in New York City. When possible, Tiffany collects the items and transforms them into whimsical sculptures.
The Studios of Cocoa Beach gallery is located at 165 Minuteman Causeway in downtown Cocoa Beach.
The Studios of Cocoa Beach is home to 35 local artists working in a variety of mediums. They are open most days but check the calendar on their website to confirm hours at www.studiosofococabeach.org.
• January Artist of the Month: Christine Velez Stone of Titusville is the January Artist of the Month at the Studios of Cocoa Beach. The brilliant acrylic paintings of this designer artist are on display at the Studios of Cocoa Beach every day until Sunday, January 31. The big, bright and bold paintings depict happy, care free events and places. Her award wining paintings have been in art shows and exhibits throughout Florida.
As a child Christine’s father was often gone on business trips and she communicated by drawing pictures. Seeing her talent, her family enrolled her in art classes and her studies continued in school. She received an art scholarship and earned an AA in Visual Arts at Berkshire Community College in Massachusetts. She then moved to Columbia to spend time with her late father’s family. While there she spent three years studying art and design at La Academia Superior de Arte in Medellin. This led to work as a designer and painter including murals, trompe l’oeil , faux finishes, and set design for theater groups.
At this time, the Studios of Cocoa Beach is open limited most days from 10:30 to 3:30, and some evenings. Hours are subject to change as volunteers are available. Check the website calendar at www.studiosofcocoabeach.org for confirmation or call 321-613-3480 to schedule an appointment. Studios of Cocoa Beach is located at 165 Minuteman Causeway Cocoa Beach.
Wednesday July 21 & Thursday July 22
• Digital Marketing, Conference: The 6th annual DigiMarCon America, the Premier Virtual Digital Marketing, Media and Advertising Conference in America will be held July 21 to 22, 2021. The cost is $147.
The conference is available to live stream and on-demand. DigiMarCon America 2021 is your chance to hear from some of the most audacious and thought provoking speakers in the digital marketing, media and advertising industry.
Gain insight into emerging strategies, the latest innovative technologies, and best practices to move your business to the next level.
Network with thought leaders, collaborate with your peers and build your professional network.
Join your peers online for 2-days jam packed with digital marketing best practices, latest trends, practical solutions, strategy and networking. Immerse yourself in topics like digital strategy, programmatic advertising, web experience management, usability/ design, mobile marketing & retargeting, customer engagement, user acquisition, social media marketing, targeting & optimization and much, much more!
At DigiMarCon America 2021, you will receive all the elements you need to achieve digital marketing success! Conventional thought will be challenged, new ways of thinking will emerge, and you will leave with your head, notebooks and professional toolkit full of action items and ideas.
Be a part of DigiMarCon America 2021 and discover how to thrive and succeed as a marketer in a rapidly evolving digital world.
See why people keep coming back year after year to this must-attend event!
Register and secure your seat today. For more details visit https://digimarconamerica.com.