Wear a mask and slow the spread
It amazes me the arguments people use against mask-wearing in these troubling times.
I am elderly and take recommended precautions. So, if you change masks frequently, how can they have their own health problems? And as for the infringement on freedoms, should we do away with speed limits and other traffic laws in the name of freedom?
Should we be able to buy machine guns and grenade launchers if we want? Should we allow surgeons to operate without masks?
Of course, the answers are no, and anything we can do to slow the spread until everyone is vaccinated will surely save some lives. Maybe mine.
Not a loss of personal freedom
To those of you that feel wearing a mask to save others from your germs is a loss of your freedom, why do you wear pants? Isn’t that a loss of your freedom?
Mask wearing is temporary and the more people that wear a mask, the shorter the duration for the requirement.
Pants wearing has been a long term requirement if you want to leave your home, and probably will be for the duration of your life.
Come on, people. If we come together and do the right things, i.e. wear your mask and social distance, we can get through this sooner than later, but EVERYONE needs to work together.
For those of you that feel mask wearing is interfering with your freedoms, why don’t you just stop wearing pants in public. Maybe that will help promote social distancing.
You have a choice to help or hinder. I know what my choice is.
A Ridiculous Argument
To the person who submitted their comment on mask wearing:
1. The arguments about mask wearing eroding personal freedoms is about the most ridiculous that you or anyone makes. When you go to a restaurant and see a sign “no shirts, no shoe, no service” is that for health reasons or to restrict your personal freedom.
2. When you see a sign at a pool that says “suits required” is that to restrict your personal freedom.
If people do not want their personal freedom restricted, they should be making a big stink about those in politics that are trying to negate the will of the people that voted and want to override their votes and give the election to the loser.
Masks don’t cause COVID
In the Dec 11 issue, the writer says it’s been proven that most positive cases are by those wearing masks all or most of the time.
A quick internet search suggests otherwise. According to HealthAffairs.gov, the mask implementation has resulted in 200,000 cases averted from the disease up to May 22, 2020; even more in the months since May.
The writer also says COVID is “on par with the flu”. The flu kills, on average in the U.S., 12,000-61,000 annually. COVID has thus far this year killed almost 300,000! This is hardly comparable to the flu!
The writer also tries to compare this to heart disease. While heart disease is indeed important, it is not comparable to COVID. Heart disease is caused by either poor genetics or poor eating habits. We don’t spread heart disease by coming into contact with others. COVID is entirely spread by contact with others.
Improper speech on TV makes me cringe
Can you help to bring awareness to public speakers regarding improper English they keep spewing out?
I cringe every time I hear them speak, especially politicians and TV hosts on the morning shows. I cringe every time I listen to them.
I wonder if they even attended high school or even graduated from college to obtain these jobs.
Their speech, in my opinion, is a bad example for kids growing up.
Examples; just to name a few:
• “American people:” This phrase should be “Americans.”
• “A lot of people:” This should be “many people.” “A lot of people” should be used in reference to things you cannot count, i.e., rain and dirt.
• “A lot of us:” This should be “many of us.”
• “Me and my son:” This should be “my son and I.”
Please, do your best to change this mode of speech.
Police outside and trash
I just read the paper, and I really enjoy your “Rants & Raves” page.
What really affected me was this young lady who wrote about being there 23 years and how she has never seen a cop go outside and talk to people or be close to the neighbors. And I understand what she means.
If the police want people to know who they are and what they are and how they care about you, this would be a good thing that they go out there.
And the same thing with the children – the children have got to know the policemen, that they care about them and that they are watching them. There are a lot of things that are going on [that are] bad. It would be great.
And then she said one thing, too, that hit me. The only thing getting fuller is the trash. They put the trash all over the place; and I take out my dog for a walk, and I am picking up trash.
It’s a shame that we have a bunch of kids who live like pigs, and they throw their trash all over the beautiful streets that people are trying to have.
Why live here?
Can anything be done when you are a very small minority, and the powers that be turn a blind eye?
I feel like flotsam adrift on the ocean without a life ring.
Some people have to get up early in the morning to go to work, we are not all living on the government dole, nor are some of us receiving SSI, or any other handout.
Some of us are getting through life, breaking our humps to make a lousy wage and are overworked.
So, to have to listen to neighbors yelling at their dogs to go to the bathroom at 11:45 p.m. or hearing the meth heads yell between 4-5 a.m. is really a crux?
Why do all the white trash across America come here to live? It certainly is not for great paying jobs. Not here.
It certainly is not for nice beaches. Not here. It most certainly isn't for culture. Not here.
So, why are prostitutes and drug dealers allowed to walk up and down U.S. Highway 1 in broad daylight? All these drug dealers and riffraff that I see are Caucasian. I do not see African Americans or Latinos taking part in this behavior, and those two groups have had to face discrimination from the get-go.
It is so obvious, if you are descended from a certain part of Europe you get a free card, no matter how trashy your behavior is toward others. You can hang out in front of Walmart looking to mug someone to feed your drug habit.
Anyone in this county, who can financially get out of this county and does not; well, I think those people need serious psychological help.
Why live in a sewer when you can live somewhere with better restaurants? Life would be less stressful if you don't have to worry about walking down the street; fearing the person approaching you is going to stab you in the ribs.
Pencils, pens and hammers kill people
If the gun-control bleeding hearts claim that guns kill people then they must also agree that pencils, pens hammers and infinitum also kill people.
Will someone inform bleeding heart Geraldo that guns and their ilk are inanimate objects with no will of their own?
The simple truth is ever-present. Guns do not kill people. People kill people.
Some aspiring Socialist or Communist nutcase would love to see Americans without guns. That would open the door to that nutcase who wants to be “supreme ruler.” Look at Venezuela, North Korea, etc. Stay alert America!
What is a ‘conundrum?’
The definition of the word “conundrum” is: something that is puzzling or confusing.
Here are six “conundrums” of socialism in the United States of America:
1. America is capitalist and greedy – yet half of the population is subsidized.
2. Half of the population is subsidized – yet they think they are victims.
3. They think they are victims – yet their representatives run the government.
4. Their representatives run the government – yet the poor keep getting poorer.
5. The poor keep getting poorer – yet they have things that people in other countries only dream about.
6. They have things that people in other countries only dream about – yet they want America to be more like those other countries.
Think about it! And that, my friends, pretty much sums up the USA in the 21st Century. Makes you wonder who is doing the math.
These three short sentences tell you a lot about the direction of our current government and cultural environment:
1. We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works. And here's another one worth considering…
2. Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. But we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money! What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't. Think about it ... and last, but not least:
3. Why are we cutting benefits for our veterans, no pay raises for our military and cutting our army to a level lower than before WWII, but we are not stopping the payments or benefits to illegal aliens?
Am I the only one missing something?